Four of the Best Industrial Gearbox Suppliers in the USA
What powers your factory operations? For many industrial producers in the USA, the answer is clear – it’s the gearbox. Thanks to numerous technological advancements made by gearbox suppliers in the USA, industrial gearboxes have become an integral piece of equipment in most production facilities, and the options for suppliers are numerous.
While healthy competition in the sector certainly drives progress, it also poses an important question: How can I pick a top industrial gearbox supplier I can trust?
To help point you in the right direction, we have assembled a list of the four best gearbox suppliers in the USA as of 2021. However, before we kick off the list, it will be beneficial to establish the critical factors involved in the gearbox supplier selection process.
How to Pick the Right Industrial Gearbox Supplier
A gearbox is a device, which increases and manages torque, changing the speed of gear rotation (called RPM – rotations per minute). In industrial engineering, a gearbox is the heart of the production line – it powers the motor used in manufacturing.
There are a few things that to keep in mind when making your selection of gearbox. Let’s take a quick look at each point:
1) Type of loading material and type. Most gearboxes work with a variety of different materials. However, different gearbox types are better suited for specific materials. There are six major gearbox types.
- Helical Gearbox – widely used for plastics and other materials requiring high mechanical power.
- Coaxial helical type – Also heavy-duty materials, more customized than the simpler Helical type.
- Bevel helical gearbox – Used for quarries, mining, and conveyors.
- Skew bevel helical gearbox – Has customizable teeth and gears and is used for heavy-duty materials.
- Worm reduction gearboxes – Fertilizers, chemicals, minerals (agriculture and mining).
- Planetary gearbox – Used for quick and precise gear switches in high-output tasks, and primarily used in machinery (your car has one too).
2) Quality of support and warranty – Gearboxes are helpful, only for as long as they last. So, when they break, you’ll want to ensure you won’t need to pay a fortune for machine gearbox repairs. Make sure that you pick a reliable supplier with an extended warranty and dedicated customer support service.
3) Efficiency & Smoothness of motion – Different gearboxes have different KPIs. Depending on your circumstances, you might want to pick a more efficient (but slower) gearbox that will preserve your hearing ability. But if you are a prominent manufacturer – you might want to choose a gearbox with higher efficiency ratings, albeit significantly louder.
4) Dimensions/housing styles – Every gearbox is designed with mounting feet, connectors, and other details attached in different places. Make sure that you double-check the required dimensions for your project and check if the supplier offers customizable gearbox dimensions.
Now that you understand the basics to consider when picking an industrial gearbox supplier let’s look at some of the top options in the USA.
Top 4 USA-Based Industrial Gearbox Suppliers in 2021
Western Gear has been around for almost a century. If you are looking for a reliable gearbox with a proven manufacturing record and ideal quality/price ratio – you will need to look no further.
Western Gear manufactures gearboxes of all kinds, and they can provide you with a custom device that will best suit the needs of your service. While you can find their machinery in almost every other industry, they specialize in the following:
- Pulp and Paper
- Offshore Operations
- Metal Manufacturing
Western Gear goes by various brand lines (including Speedmaster, Seamaster, Millmaster) – but they all share the same highest quality standards.
Pro tip: Drop us a line if you are interested in Western Gearbox Servicing.
Foote-Jones has been around for over 150 years, making them one of the oldest (and most reliable) options on this list. They specialize in producing bevel helical gearboxes, and are famous for their worm gearboxes, bevel gear drives, and shafts. These units have applications in the following areas of business:
- Rock crushing
Regal Beloit Corporation acquired Foote-Jones to meet growing demand. Consequentially, they have an excellent economy of scale, which positively affects pricing. While their gearboxes offer excellent economy and performance, they still require some maintenance. That’s where Foote-Jones gearbox repair services come in handy.
Lightnin gearboxes differ quite a bit from other competitors on this list. Why, you might ask? Lightnin is produced by SPX Flow, a company that mainly produces machinery for the water and air purification industry. With that being said, their gearboxes are not only limited to water and air. Lightnin also works well with the following materials:
The main advantage of Lightnin is customization and expertise in the challenging waste management sector. So, if your business deals with the purification of waste materials – you should look no further. However, finding a reliable Lightnin gearbox repair company can be a challenge.
Falk is the oldest household name on this list, and its history dates back to the 1800s when Henry Falk started engineering innovative couplings for wagons. Two hundred years later, Falk became one of the most reliable and well-known heavy machinery gearboxes.
Falk gearboxes were traditionally used in large machinery, including production belts, transportation, locomotives, and naval industries. Nowadays, under Rexnord management, Falk has diversified their portfolio of gearboxes to work with a variety of materials, including:
Falk gearboxes are highly reliable, but if a sudden hiccup occurs – reach out to Falk gearbox repair experts in your area.
Have a Broken Gearbox? Don’t Scrap it!
If you are reading this article, then you may be facing one of the following:
- You are looking to set up a new production line and need help choosing a gearbox
- Your old industrial gearbox broke down
If the second option is the case, do not rush to buy a new gearbox just yet. There might still be a chance to get it up and running in no time or you can opt to participate in our gearbox exchange program.
Curious how you can make this happen? Consult with our industrial gearbox repair specialists today.